Luke Letcher (Class of 2012) on the verge of making Olympic Rowing debut!

Posted 15 Mar, 2021

In August 2020, we shared a Life after Radford story on Luke who at the time shared that “Rowing has been my priority; you can’t be a part time elite rower”. “Each week, I train, study and work with an electrical company”. “My goal is to be in the Australian rowing team at the Olympics. I have a good shot to make this a reality”, said Luke.

In August 2020, we shared a Life after Radford story on Luke who at the time shared that “Rowing has been my priority; you can’t be a part time elite rower”. “Each week, I train, study and work with an electrical company”. “My goal is to be in the Australian rowing team at the Olympics. I have a good shot to make this a reality”. 

The RiotACT! recently shared a news article on Luke started rowing at Radford College as a 13-year-old after being encouraged by a neighbour.

That neighbour was Radford’s Master of Rowing, Philip Winkworth (pictured below), who believed Luke, with his height, had the ideal physique for the sport.

Thirteen years later, Luke is on the cusp of making his Olympic debut in the postponed Games in Tokyo. Luke has been named in the men’s quad sculls in the Australian team preparing for the Olympics.

Yet despite being named in the Australian squad, the crews for the Olympics haven’t been finalised, so as Luke shared, “it’s an exciting moment but there is still a long way to go”.

At 26 years of age and so close to making his Olympic debut, it has given him a chance to reflect on how the journey started and those who helped him reach this point.

“I was lucky to have David Bagnall as a coach through high school; I wouldn’t have had anywhere near the success I’ve had without him.”

Right to left: Philip Winkworth, David Bagnall, Ian Morison, Leslee Hodgson

And he had plenty of success as a junior as part of the Radford quad crew, winning the national schools title in 2011. The following year, he won the under 19 single sculls.

Congratulations Luke on your continued success!

Related Collegians

Luke Letcher

CLASS OF 2012