Congratulations Lieutenant Colonel Peta Mantel (Class of 1990) on your Order of Australia (Military Division)

Posted 17 Jun, 2021

This week, LTCOL Peta Mantel’s was awarded the Order of Australia (Military Division) in this this year’s Queen’s Birthday honours list, including her on the COVID-19 honour role. Peta's role as a clinical epidemiologist during COVID-19 Pandemic has been to lead the team of epidemiologists in the Commonwealth Health Department National Incident Room.

Congratulations Lieutenant Colonel (LTCOL) Peta Mantel (Class of 1990) for being recognised for your exceptional service to the Australian Defence Force in the fields of medical intelligence, health leadership, and epidemiology and diseases surveillance. LTCOL Mantel was awarded the Order of Australia (Military Division) in this this year’s Queen’s Birthday honours list which was why she was included on the COVID-19 honour role.

LTCOL Mantel is a professional of exceptional skills who made superb contributions in medical intelligence, health leadership, and pandemic preparedness. Her internationally recognised work in epidemiology supported Australia’s whole of Government and Five Eyes’ efforts in managing the Ebola and Zika virus outbreaks; whilst her sage advice on mitigation strategies for the coronavirus pandemic to Australia’s Chief Medical Officer and the Health Protection Principal Committee shaped national policy in a number of key areas such as border controls and travel bubbles.

In January 2021, the Australian Government announced that, commencing with the Queen’s Birthday 2021 Honours List, individuals recognised for their contribution, service or achievement relating to COVID-19 would feature on a dedicated COVID-19 honors roll as well as the official Australian honours database.

In his address, His Excellency General the Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Retd), Governor-General of Australia said, “The ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which has challenged us in ways we could not have imagined, has been made possible by many many people … In the midst of the challenges we have witnessed countless examples of Australians who have worked tirelessly and done extraordinary things. As a nation we should give thanks to these people … they deserve thanks, recognition and to be celebrated.”