Tom Hertel (Class of 2005) – Launches Capital Brewing Co Brewery and Taphouse

Posted 06 Sep, 2017

Tom Hertel, co owner of Capital Brewing Co invites you to the launch of the brewery and taphouse on September 9, for good beer and good vibes!

Capital Brewing Company brewed its first official beer in its newly commissioned brewery in Fyshwick, Canberra in August but the doors to the brewery and taphouse officially open to the public this Saturday (September 9). Tom would love to see as many Radford faces at the launch as possible.

Capital Brewing Co formed in April 2016 as a partnership between Canberra hospitality professionals Tom Hertel and Laurance Kain, and Batlow Cider founders Rich and Sam Coombes.

Canberra bar owners Tom and Laurence began planning the brewery in June the year prior with Rich and Sam Coombes. The brothers, founders of the Batlow Cider Co, supplied Hertel and Kain’s Civic bars Hippo Co and previously owned Honky Tonks.

The Batlow connection brings an existing national distribution network to the new venture. More excitingly for drinkers, it gives Capital Brewing Co direct access to one of the holy grails of brewing: a secure supply of hop flowers.

Running the brewery with brewer Wade Hurley will be two more Capital partners, Ian Stott and Nick Hislop, with backgrounds in brewery and cider-making logistics and sustainability. There’s been serious investment in building a sustainable brew house and operations. “Investing in energy efficiency upfront will seriously reduce our utility consumption and carbon footprint,” say Nick.

Capital has until now been gypsy brewing at several Sydney facilities, but they are excited to see their plans come to fruition and be able to brew their beer right here in the place they love. “We’ll have a large brewery, canning and bottling machines and a touch-and-feel tasting bar where people can watch the whole process”, says Tom.

The American equipped brewery is located in Molonglo Group’s Dairy Road District, near the Dairy Road–Monaro Highway underpass. The near 20-thousand-metre complex will ultimately accommodate scores of tenants, including Barrio Collective coffee roasters, Vertikal Indoor Snow Sports’ three indoor ski slopes, and Bloc Haus climbing gym.

This space suits the lads behind the company who are, avid climbers, skiers and surfers, create “good-natured brews” inspired by their time spent outdoors in Canberra, at the beach and in the snow. This close group of friends aren’t afraid of hard work, thinking big and then relaxing with beers in hand.

Read more about  the inside of Canberra’s new brewery – Capital Brewing Co at Dairy Road Fyshwick in the Goodfood article here.

More news

https://craftypint.com/news/1271/Making_Capital 

http://citynews.com.au/2017/brewing-success-environment-mind/