Kindy visits the Radford Archives – in search of precious memories and found many collegians!

Posted 25 Oct, 2017

Miss Taylor (Archivist and class 2004) explored the archives to find some memories of Kindergarten Mums and Dads and other relatives who used to be students or staff at Radford College. As it turned out there were lots!

As part of the unit of inquiry – Where we are in place and time? – kindergarten have begun by exploring the concept of memories, especially those that are precious and how they can share them.

To help explore this concept, the children visited the Radford archives to find out about the memories of the school. Miss Katie Taylor (Archivist – class of 2004) explained to them that the archives are the special place where the memories of the school are kept, so that we don’t forget them and so that we can pass these memories onto future generations.

Miss Taylor (Archivist) explored the archives to find some memories of Kindergarten Mums and Dads and other relatives who used to be students or staff at Radford College. As it turned out, lots of the children in Kindergarten have parents and family members that also went to, or have been staff at, Radford. In fact, there were 17 parents and family members (that we knew of! Or that confessed!) and 7 staff parents and grandparents.

The Kindergarten students even saw photos of Miss Claire Taylor (Teacher – class of 2006), Mrs Nadia Sullivan (nee Trewin, Teacher – class of 1991) and Miss Cait Amosa (Teaching Assistant – class of 1994)  when they were students at Radford. The children loved seeing the old photos of all the people they knew and finding out that their teachers went to Radford as well!

The investigation included learning about storing old artifacts (such as Bishop Radford’s book of poetry).

The children asked some really interesting questions and wondered what kinds of things the archives looked after:

• Why do we have an archive?
  • Who sends things to the archives?
  • What other places have an archive?
  • How do you take care of the things in the archives?

The children enjoyed seeing an original scale model of the school, and could identify the parts of the school that were there and the bits that were added later (including the ELC and Junior School).

The children even got to try on some of the original blazers, showing a Radford ‘R’, from before the crest had been designed. These were pretty funny as they looked like great big dressing gowns! There were also some excellent hats from past uniforms that they got to try on.

The Collegians Association is hoping to share more memories with collegians via our website.

Zali Woollcombe (daughter of Collegian Lara Woollcombe) and William Holliday (nephew of Collegian Sara Driver) .

Related Collegians

Cait Amosa

CLASS OF 1994