In memory of David Scoltock, former IT teacher at Radford College, who died on 15 September 2023

Posted 12 Oct, 2023

David started at Radford College in Term 4 of 1988 as the Coordinator of Computing. His computer skills were on public display in 1990 when he calculated all the scores for the Bishop’s Cup on Foundation Day with the students “waiting patiently” [Banksia won].

His enthusiasm for computing and the opportunities at Radford College are evident in his 1991 Radfordian article: “I believe that Radford is keeping up with the rest of the community with its offerings in this area [computing] and that the next few years will be exciting ones”.

In 1992, he became the Assistant Head of Commerce and Computing. He had realised that “the College needed a centralised computing facility that could be used by all subject teachers in their respective subjects as well as fulfilling the needs of a specialised computing subject”. This push led to three separate computer laboratories being set up and Introductory Computing was being taught to all Years 7 and 8 students at Radford.

In 1994, he became the Assistant Head of Technology.

Glenn Demery, who worked alongside David teaching computing and IT, said “He was a bit of a gamer and loved playing the games students created. Another of his creations was his potions database assignment which students enjoyed and always was well thought of at moderation. He had a wicked sense of humour”.

Alongside his teaching, he managed multiple U14 Radford basketball teams. He also became involved as either Director or Assistant Director of Radford musicals for many years. Among others, he was involved with Trial by Jury (2004), Bye Bye Birdie (2008) and Guys and Dolls (2006). He is thanked for a final time by the drama captains in 2009 after their production of Grease, his last musical before retiring: “Mr. Scoltock, who brought inspiration, humour, fun and was the ultimate Rock and Roll party Queen.”

David’s funeral was at held at Norwood Crematorium on 22 September.