Giving Back – Blake Macdonald (Class of 2015)

Posted 16 Sep, 2020

Blake ran laps of a 1km loop in 24 hours on the 12 and 13 September to raise money for Lifeline and bring awareness to mental health and suicide. This was an idea that came to him while trying to keep busy during the COVID-19 lockdown.

Blake who also plays for the ACT Comets as the opening batsman and is currently studying psychology. Blake has been volunteering for Lifeline for most of the year and decided it was the best cause to run for.

“I’ve really enjoyed pushing my physical and mental limits to see what I’m capable of,” Blake said. “And then this was kind of the latest challenge I wanted to try out to see how far I can go in 24 hours. “I started volunteering at Lifeline this year and I kind of thought it would be a good thing to put together and raise some money and awareness for a really good cause, those two things sort of came together.”, he shared.

Blake added, “especially in the current circumstances we all find ourselves in it’s more important than ever to look after our mental health. It’s something that can be a bit taboo at times but the more we can start having those conversations the better”. 

As of today, Blake has raised $17,860. His goal was $10,000. 

Those wishing to donate to Blake Macdonald’s cause can click here

Blake played for Western District last season, and spent the 2017 summer as a rookie listed player with the Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash.

Congratulations Blake on this incredible achievement and raising much needed awareness to mental health and suicide.

Content and photo credit: Canberra Times, article published 8 September 2020.