Doors have re-opened for Tom Hertel’s (Class of 2005) Capital Brewing Co.

Posted 28 Jul, 2020

Laurence Kain, together with business partner Tom Hertel (Class of 2005) of Capital Brewing Co., are relieved that their doors have reopened and Canberrans can again enjoy a cold one. Around the capital, businesses are raising a glass to locals who are being COVIDsafe and enabling their venues to stay open. 

Just over a week ago, We Are CBR shared that for Capital Brewing Co during COVID-19 they had to shut the tap room. And the 550 licensed premises that they sell to up and down the East Coast of Australia all closed at the same time. So, they had a 50 per cent drop in revenue straight away.

“We had a lot of support, particularly in Sydney, with an uplift of their beers going through bottle shops. As well as the local support from Canberra of course. People supporting local really has been keeping us alive” 

“We started out in 2016 with a real interest in independent Aussie craft beer and really got to know the industry. Now we are lucky enough to run our tap room in Fyshwick where visitors can watch us make the beer and have a cold one while they’re there”. 

“It’s a dynamic and ever-changing environment. We are always dealing with different challenges, experimenting and having fun.

“And we just love making good beer. A big part of what we enjoy the most is making really consistent beer. We love experimenting. And we love getting feedback from other people about our beer” 

Great news Capital Brewing Co. team!

Photo Credit: Canberra Times and Capital Brewing Co. 

Content Credit: We Are CBR 

Related Collegians

Tom Hertel

CLASS OF 2005