Commonwealth Games wrap up

Posted 23 Apr, 2018

Chloe Hosking (Class of 2008) & Jesse Wagstaff (Class of 2003) win Gold and Caitlin Thwaits (Class of 2010) wins silver at the 2018 Commonwealth Games

Chloe Hosking wins Gold!

Chole was the one on top of the podium collecting Australia’s 13th cycling gold after a perfectly executed road race but knows it was all down to her five teammates.

The Australian team commanded the 112.2km race from the outset, dictating terms to allow Chloe to sweep past the lead pack inside the final 200m on the Currumbin Beachfront on Saturday.

Shannon Malseed and Gracie Elvin did the hard work early, Katrin Garfoot, Sarah Roy and Tiffany Cromwell split the pack apart in the latter stages and it was all set up for Hosking, the best sprinter in the field, to peel off and pounce at the end.

Congratulations Chloe!

Jesse Wagstaff and the Boomers win Gold!

The Boomers showed just why they’re the favourites to win it all at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in the semifinal with a 103-46 victory over Scotland in the semifinal. Jesse Wagstaff led the way for Australia with 17 points, as the Boomers continued to cruise through the Games.

The Boomers then went on to win the Gold medal match with an 87-47 victory over Canada.

Australia, who were only really challenged once all tournament – by New Zealand in their pool game – broke open the game with a 14-0 run to start the second quarter.

With it they established a 24-point lead, Canada’s spirits all but broken as the host nation cruised the rest of the way.

Congratulations Jesse!

Caitlin Thwaits and the Diamonds win Silver!

Caitlin and the Australian Diamonds were hot favourite to defeat England in the gold medal game and defend their title from Glasgow four years ago.

A buzzer-beater goal saw England upset world champions Australia to win Commonwealth Games gold in netball.

England had trailed by three goals at stages in the fourth quarter, but clawed their way back into the contest and had the chance to gain a two-goal buffer in the final minute.

They missed twice, allowing Diamonds goal shooter Caitlyn Bassett to bring the game back even with just 15 seconds left.

But Housby was fouled at the death and converted a late goal to give England its second final-second win in as many games.

It was the first netball gold medal shootout in the history of the Commonwealth Games to not feature Australia against New Zealand.

In seven games, Caitlin scored 160 goals from 162 attempts, including a perfect 39 from 39 against Northern Ireland and 24 from 25 in the Diamonds’ impressive semi-final win over New Zealand.

Caitlin scored six goals from six attempts in a brief stint on the court in the third quarter of the gold medal game before Alexander decided to take the team’s leading scorer for the tournament off the court.

Congratulations Caitlin!

Chloe Hosking

Jesse Wagstaff