Collegians Vs Students soccer matches

Posted 12 Nov, 2017

The Collegians' Women have retained the trophy while the Collegians' Men went down for a second year in a row in a carnival atmosphere at the Radford Fete.

Fete day saw the Collegian Vs Student soccer matches played on the P&F Oval between 3pm and 7pm. Both games were closely fought with the female students jumping out to a 2 goal lead, courtesy of Claire Roche and Esperance Anderson, before being reeled in around half time by 2 goals from Jessica Osborne (Class of 2003). Despite having older legs carrying them around, the collegian women finished stronger, putting away a further 2 goals (Katie Woodman (Class of 2004) and honorary collegian Dianne Lefebvre) to run out 4-2 winners.

The mens game went goal for goal until the last 10 minutes with the students running over the top to win 4-3. The collegians opened the scoring early from the penalty spot, before the students’ Bailey Toscan put in an equaliser down the other end. The collegians went ahead again only to be hauled back by a Thomas French penalty awarded following a dubious hand ball. It was 2 all at half time and the collegians went ahead again early in the second half with a headed goal from Justin Waddell following a brilliant cross from Graham Fifield (Class of 2000). Bailey Toscan then equalised for the students on the back of a swift counter attack before Nelson Cary tucked away the winner from the edge of the box only several minutes from time. Chris Osborne (Class of 1999) missed a chance to equalise from a long throw late in the game.