Collegians back for BMS Sports Day

Posted 10 Oct, 2018

Ryan Dalrymple, Raymond Yao, Liam Braithwaite, Grant Simpson, Hugh Coppell, Edward Cardew-Hall, Eddie Simon, Connal Burslem lend a hand at Black Mountain School Sports Day.

More that 13 years ago teamSUPPORT was started with the goal of increasing male awareness and active involvement in team-based service activity, particularly within the Year 10 age group.

It’s more than a decade later and it is still doing so, with  more than 200 participants having developed their leadership/service philosophies and approach through the program alongside staff, collegians and parents in this time.

With a focus on working with people of all ages with disabilities, the lads help develop, organise and implement themed sports and activities days, both at Radford and at Black Mountain School (BMS) since teamSUPPORT’s inception.

This most recent Sportsday was a little different to usual. With the Year 10 team SUPPORT cohort running a Wild West-themed activity day at Black Mountain School with students unable to make the journey to Radford College. A group of collegians helped a new enthusiastic group of Year 10 male and female students run super-hero themes activities for BMS guests at the College. Collegians present included former teamSUPPORTers, Ryan Dalrymple, Raymond Yao, Liam Braithwaite, Grant Simpson, Hugh Coppell, Edward Cardew-Hall, Eddie Simon, Connal Burslem.

I came back to help with the Sports Day because I was involved in teamSUPPORT during my time at Radford and believe that it provides students with a unique service learning opportunity which contributes to their emotional development. –Ryan

Having experienced the support that previous Collegians have given to the teamSUPPORT and RAID program, I knew it was important to give the same support to current students involved in the programs. Helping out at teamSUPPORT days and attending the occasional RAID Basketball has been a great way to continue this support. –Edward

Connal Burslem

Edward Cardew-Hall

Hugh Coppell