Collegian Anthony Chen (Class of 2013) took out a prize at The Lev Vlassenko Piano Competition

Posted 09 Aug, 2019

Collegian Anthony Chen (Class of 2013) was awarded 3rd prize in The Lev Vlassenko Piano Competition and Festival.

The Lev Vlassenko Piano Competition and Festival is a major Australian piano event, held biennially in Brisbane. It provides talented Australian and New Zealand based performers between 16 and 30 with a major platform to develop professionally and artistically, and to compete for substantial cash prizes.

Collegian Anthony Chen was awarded 3rd prize after being chosen as one of four competitors to play piano concerto with the Queensland Symphony Orchestra. This was Round 4, after competing in 3 earlier rounds (Round 1: 20min recital, Round 2: 25-35min recital, Round 3 50-60min recital).

Anthony also won the People’s Choice, the Queensland Symphony Orchestra Vote, and the Best Performance of Australian Work.

The quality of the piano playing in this elite competition is phenomenal. Competitors often continue onto international competitions and becoming international performers following the success in this competition.

Congratulations, Anthony, on this wonderful achievement!

As documented in his Valete entry (extracted below) in the 2013 Radfordian, Anthony’s substantial involvement in Music at Radford was just part of his “all round” contribution and achievement in his senior years:

Prefect; BSSS Award Performing Arts 2013; Peter Casson Award Music 2013; College Award 2012; International Geography Olympiad 2012; Subject Awards Music 2010 & 2011, Music (T) 2013, Physics (T) 2013; Attitude and Application Award 2009; Rowing – Contribution Award 2010; Chamber Choir – Excellence Award 2013; Senior Jazz Ensemble; Symphonic Wind Ensemble; Keyboard Accompaniment – Excellence Awards 2012 & 2013; LMusA Piano 2012; Musical Theatre – Service Award 2013; Y12 Revue; Service Learning – L’Arche Disco, Relay for Life, Youth in the City.

Related Collegians

Anthony Chen

CLASS OF 2013