Carly Porreca (nee, Beauchamp Class of 2001) shares her innovative thinking to develop solutions through design

Posted 05 Nov, 2020

Last term, Carly shared her valuable experience and love of design with a group of Year 2 students.
She presented how people develop solutions through design.

Einstein was certainly right — we can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. In addition, with the rapid changes in society, the methods we have previously used to solve many of the problems we face are no longer effective. We need to develop new ways of thinking in order to design better solutions, services and experiences that solve our current problems.

Last term, Carly shared her valuable experience and love of design with a group of Year 2 students, presenting how people develop solutions through design.

Both the students and teachers thoroughly enjoyed the session.

Carly thanks Mr Stroh (Tech Drawing Teacher) for opening her eyes to the world of design. Following Radford, she went onto complete a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture.

Carly is s a Manager in Statutory Planning at the National Capital Authority.

Carly shared that her own mum and her family are her biggest inspirations as well as André Le Nôtre and David Attenborough.

André Le Nôtre, originally rendered as André Le Nostre, was a French landscape architect and the principal gardener of King Louis XIV of France

Carly’s advice to current students: “Don’t compare yourself to others, love yourself. AND, failure and mistakes aren’t bad, they are part of learning and inherent in success. Also, YOLO!” 

—-

The Radford Collegians Association have three core pillars of focus:

Community and Social
Staying connected and proactive is a priority for the Radford Collegians. There are numerous community initiatives taking place throughout the year including foundation days, reunions, social events and frequent news and updates.

Business and Career
Becoming a Radford Collegian provides individuals with greater opportunity, choice and flexibility in the working world. This is available through member and networking events, tutoring and mentoring, referral programs and access to scholarships in a range of professions.

Giving Back
Becoming a Radford Collegian is a great way to give back to the school and community. Opportunities lie in sponsorship, fundraising grants, award programs and student mentoring.