On Becoming a Leader Session for Year 11 Students

Posted 14 Sep, 2021

On Tuesday, 31 August 2021, during a Z-Line lesson we were fortunate enough to have four fantastic Collegians share their insight with the Year 11 group about what qualities they believe make good leaders and how they managed leadership during their time at Radford.

Term 3 marks a critical period for the Year 11’s in determining who their College Leaders for next year will be.

On Tuesday, 31 August 2021, during a Z-Line lesson we were fortunate enough to have four fantastic Collegians share their insight with the Year 11 group about what qualities they believed make good leaders and how they managed leadership during their time at Radford. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 lockdown, the event had to be held remotely via Teams – however, the method of the event was very successful with students stating they learned a lot about what was needed for our future leaders of the College.

Led by Patrick Walker and Mia Phelps on behalf of the year group; Annie Creer (2018), Matthew Overton-Clarke (2018), John Nicholls (2007), and Sally Faulks (1999) were grilled with a multitude of questions. They hence shared some critically funny moments, while imparting wise words about the need for leaders to have empathy, value perspectives, and always take time to consider walking in the shoes of others while advocating for those voices that are not always heard.

Annie Creer (2018)

“Everyone can bring something to the table and as a good leader, you must sit back and be a good listener. Lead by example and have empathy.”

John Nicholls (2007)

“Being self-aware is very important as well as having trust in your peers. To be a good leader, you need a lot of emotional intelligence. As a leader, you don’t need to jump in on every single comment, or you don’t need to jump in with a response to everything, you can sit back and let people express their ideas without having any emotional reaction to what they’re saying.”

Matt Overton-Clarke (2018)

“Taking initiative and being genuine about the role is very important. As a leader – be yourself and make sure that you represent a good attitude.”

Sally Faulks (1999)

“Be a more authentic and vulnerable leader. It is OK for you to say that you made a mistake or that you don’t know the answer. Everyone has different strengths – build on those strengths as a leader and realize you don’t have to be the loudest or you don’t have to be raising your voice. Just by you being yourself – that’s how people respect you and you.”

We believe Year 11 group certainly took on board that piece of valuable advice and THANK YOU to all our speakers and perhaps one day, we have a future national leader in the wings!