Marni Mount (Class of 2014) – A passion for Theatre founded at Radford and still going strong…

Posted 22 Feb, 2023

Marni Mount is mad about theatre. A passion she discovered during her time at Radford and have nurtured over the last five years at university and beyond,

Marni is a director, actor, and dramaturg living and working in Naarm (Melbourne). Marni has a focus on new Australian writing for the stage and screen, she likes making work that is formally inventive, visually imaginative, and unafraid to take on big ideas. Marni has a particular soft spot for smart, funny, feminist work and an interest in adaptation and work that creatively engages with the canon.

Before relocating to Melbourne in 2021, Marnie worked as an independent artist across the theatre sector in her hometown of Canberra, working with The Street Theatre, Canberra Theatre Centre, Canberra Youth Theatre, Shakespeare by the Lakes, the National University Theatre Society, and Screen Canberra.

In 2022, Marni directed the mainland premiere of The Camel by Dylan Van Den Berg, and the world premiere of Emmanuelle Mattana’s stunning debut play Trophy Boys.

In 2023, Trophy Boys returned return for a ten-night season at fortyfivedownstairs as part of Midsumma Festival. The show was a hit and is likely to return.

Marni Mount (director) has the incredible skill to manage this staging choice and bring the cast to the energy levels required, but then reining it in to build tension. Mount has turned Trophy Boys into a pressure cooker. She occasionally lets a little steam out only to shut it down and build the pressure even higher again and again and again. For most of the play this pressure brings gales of laughter, but by the end I admit I was crying (whilst also trying to clap and cheer as loud as I could). Review written by Samsara Dunston of What did she think? 

Marni is a graduate of the Australian National University, and she is currently undertaking my Master of Theatre (Directing) at the Victorian College of the Arts.

Marni’s Collegian profile can be found here: Marni Mount – Radford Collegians’ Association