Life after Radford with Year 12 Class of 2022

Posted 14 Sep, 2022

On Tuesday 13 September, the College welcomed back five Collegians to attend Life after Radford event with our Year 12 (Class of 2022) students.
Our collegians shared their life and experiences following College life.

Jacinta Maddigan (Class of 2003), Alex Wrigley (nee Avent) and Scott Wrigley (Class of 2006), Claire Walters (Class of 2009) and Arun Sivendran (Class of 2014).

Some of the moments shared from the session:

What was your favourite Radford moment? 

Arun: The Night Sky Project – heading up to Mount Stromlo with my group of friends and participating in Drama projects.

Claire: Year 9 camp was a horrible experience at the time, but upon reflection, I got a lot out of it and bonded so well with friends that I remain in contact with today.

Scott: I grew up in the PE department mostly as my dad, Mr Wrigley was the Head of PE at the time. I recall one moment when we camped in the Leyshon Lecture Theatre to watch the 1999 Rugby World Cup with Father John who was the Chaplain at the time and a very passionate Scotsman.

Alex: Receiving the Graham Wigg Community Spirit Award the first year it was introduced and being the Huon House Captain.

Jacinta: Time trials in Rowing and Year 9 camp and developing strong bonds, the experience was so enriching. 

Who is your Role Model? 

Arun: I don’t have a role model as such but I believe that taking something that you admire from the many people you come across on your journey, whether it be at school or in the workplace. Mr Byers my Physics teacher was a wonderful inspirational and had very good advice – “do your best and only focus on yourself, don’t worry about what other people are doing”. 

Claire: People that speak their minds, like Grace Tame.

Scott: My grandfather, he has strong family values that I admire.

Alex: Not necessarily who inspires me but how I can inspire others through my actions like today – giving back and sharing my knowledge with you all.

Jacinta: My parents, they worked hard all their lives and put three children through Radford and gave us incredible opportunities. My parents have laser focus. Also people like Maya Maya Angelou and Oprah.

What advice do you have to share? 

Arun: Work on your soft skills – organisation and time management skills.

Claire: Practical skills, if you can’t communicate effectively it will be very challenging.

Alex and Scott: Getting to know how things work in the “real world”. Read about mortgages, saving money, equity. We suggest reading a book called: What I didn’t learn at school and I wish I had by Jamie McIntyre.

Jacinta: Know your learning style and focus on soft skills i.e. communication.

Claire Walters

Alex Wrigley

Jacinta Maddigan