Katrina Wiseman (Class of 2016) making her professional debut as an Opera Singer at the National Opera

Posted 24 Nov, 2022

In December, Katrina Wiseman (Class of 2016) will be taking to the stage for the National Opera in Canberra playing the role of Oberto in Alcina.

Katrina attended Radford for Years 7-12 from 2011-2016. While she was at Radford she took part in choirs, musicals (Pirates of Penzance and Back to the 80’s) and drama performances. Katrina started singing lessons in Year 9 and in Year 12 she was the Choirs Captain and Performing Arts Prefect.

Katrina gave her first ever solo vocal performance at the Year 9 Recital and says that she naturally moved towards classical singing, before starting to explore the world of opera. She first performed in an opera in Year 11, and upon finishing Year 12, she was awarded a Regional Student Scholarship with Opera Australia, and studied a double degree in Music (Performance)/Science (Mathematics) at the Australian National University. Katrina studied vocal performance with Cheryl Barker AO, and began as a Young Artist with National Opera.

In 2019, she travelled to Italy to undertake a Young Artist Program with the Vocal Academy of Orvieto. Here she trained with multiple international performance specialists and travelled around Italy to perform in historic opera houses.

Alcina is Katrina’s first professional role, she will be getting to perform with the singers and artists that she has looked up to throughout her development as a performer. With Alcina being the production that made Joan Sutherland into La Stupenda, this production is going to link into highlights of Australian Operatic history.

Katrina will be performing the role of Oberto, a young 14-year-old boy who has been shipwrecked on Alcina’s island. Alcina is a story about seduction, passion, magic and deception, Oberto’s subplot provides a contrasting coming of age story. A young boy searching to rescue his father is left to fend for himself on the island, and we see him losing his youthful innocence as he finally faces Alcina’s deception and has to stand up for himself.

Also performing in this production is Michael Troy (Class of 2020) who will be performing in the opera chorus.

Alcina – National Opera

Dates | 8 & 10 December 2022
Venue | Llewellyn Hall

Ticketing

Premium | $169.50 – $179.50
A Reserve | $149.50 – $159.50
B Reserve | $129.50 – $139.50
C Reserve | $75.00 – $85.00

We wish you all the best Katrina on a successful performance and congratulate you on your work and success!

Katrina Wiseman