Josh Lundy (Class of 2012), Head Chef at Bar Rochford could make it to top bar 2019

Posted 24 Sep, 2019

Josh Lundy (Class of 2012) is Head Chef at popular Canberra nightspot – Bar Rochford. The watering hole has just been named as a national finalist in the Good Food top 20 Australian bars for 2019.

Sitthixay Ditthavong 📷

Josh Lundy is Head Chef at popular Canberra nightspot – Bar Rochford. The watering hole has just been named as a national finalist in the Good Food top 20 Australian bars for 2019 and has also been listed as a finalist in the Young Guns of Wine Wineslinger Awards.  Bar Rochford is also a favourite of the Good Food team as reported in the Canberra Times, picking up a hat from the judging team in last year’s guide.

Josh took the reins as Head Chef when Louis Couttoupes left in February. The owner Nick told the Canberra Times “it was all a bit stressful and I was worried about it, but I’d have to say the place is the best it’s been. Everyone is happy at work, we all work our own parts, we have respect for each other.”

“Josh Lundy and Belle Barrett are doing an amazing job, it’s a pretty cool place to be at the moment.”

Josh knew he wanted to work in the hospitality at a young age. He told us that his mum encouraged him to get a job when he was 14: so he started washing dishes at Ellacure in Bruce; a job he did for many years. He starting with a couple of shifts and progressed to working all weekend and all through the holidays. He racked up the big bucks and bought himself a Honda CRV when he was 15. Josh laughed when he told me this, noting he probably earnt more then than he does now.

Josh started to complete a school-based apprenticeship in year 11, however, two thirds of his way through year 11 he decided this was definitely what he wanted to do, and he didn’t think it would be worth completing his secondary studies in parallel. His family were supportive and he completed his apprenticeship at 86 alongside Gus Armstrong.  He later moved with Gus to Pulp, becoming Head Chef and Venue Manager. Josh then decided to broaden his horizons, moving to Sydney to experience the big smoke and work at 3 hatted restaurant Sepia. But Sydney was not for him and his love for Canberra brought him back, landing as Head Chef at Bar Rochford.

Josh says structured schooling was not for him, but he still speaks highly about his time at Radford and commented that the thing he loved most was the people. He doesn’t think it is really like anywhere else – there is such a strong sense of community.  Josh also has praise for the teachers commenting the most were amazing: his favorite being “Richo, a great coach and all-round dude”.

He said that he still hangs out with his mates from Radford, some that are from his year group and some are from other year levels.

His advice for current students is not to be scared you have to do something because it’s considered the norm, trust your gut spend your days doing something you love.  Having followed the life story of hundreds of collegians, this is probably the sentiment that resonates most strongly through their experience.

I asked Josh what his favorite dish was on the current menu, just in case your planning a night out. He said the “Anchovy Toast, Gribiche. It is so nice with a nice glass of wine!”

The Good Food Guide 2020 Bar of the Year will be announced September 30 at the Good Food Guide Awards in Brisbane, so Josh is off to buy a new suit.

We want to congratulate Josh and the team at Bar Rochford on this achievement and wish them all the best!