Jeanette Lacey (Class of 1991) – Pivotal to the process of organ donation

Posted 15 May, 2017

“I do remember going on year 12 camp to Central Australia, and meeting the flying doctors, and thinking at that stage, a life as a nurse was for me.”

Pivotal to the process of organ donation is the specialist nurse whose role is a combination of counsellor, medical specialist and logistics co-ordinator – at John Hunter Hospital, Jeanette Lacey is one of those nurses.

Jeanette  supports patients and their families throughout the end of life process, including making the decision to donate a loved one’s organs after death. Passionate about her work and ensuring that everyone is afforded compassion, dignity and respect at end of life, Jeanette has been working with families at their most vulnerable for more than 20 years,

In Australia, 90 per cent of the population supports organ and tissue donation. However, less than half have registered as organ donors on the National Organ Donor registry, and the family consent rate for organ and tissue donation is less than 60 per cent.

Through speaking with grief stricken families about the organ donation process and offering information, reassurance and kindness, Jeanette helps families traverse their loved one’s organ donation – a gift that can save or enhance the lives of 10 or more people.

Jeanette Lacey