40th Anniversary of Radford promise

Posted 14 Feb, 2024

The 40th anniversary of Radford College’s Dedication Service was on the 11th of February at 3:00pm. It was on this day, in 1984, that Radford College students and staff along with parents and other stakeholders joined each other outside the library to officially open and dedicate the school.

Among the official guests were The Right Honourable Sir Ninian Stephen, Governor-General of Australia and the Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn, The Right Reverend Owen Dowling. It was a warm Saturday, and students were dressed in full summer uniform. The Official Party was seated on the stage and other visitors sought shelter under the marquee and the shade of nearby trees.

On the arrival of the Official Party, the National Anthem was played before the assembled crowd heard addresses by the Governor-General, the Principal J.A. (Jock) Mackinnon, and Dr T.B. Millar. After the plaque unveiling, visitors were invited to inspect the school and enjoy afternoon tea in the Science laboratories.

T.B. Millar’s speech at the Dedication Service reflects what we continue to strive for, 40 years on:

“We dedicate Radford to the objective of ensuring, so far as possible, that its students are cultured and compassionate human beings, grounding in Christian teachings and traditions, and who at the conclusion of their school careers are well prepared for tertiary education, for employment, and for living.”