Kirstie Hardy (Class 1996) – an opportunity to try something different becomes a dream career

Posted 15 Jun, 2017

Growing up, Kirstie Hardy had no firm idea of what she wanted to do. Then something she'd never expected turned out to be "the perfect fit".

Growing up, Kirstie Hardy had no firm idea of what she wanted to do.

“I don’t think I ever really had a clear vision of what I wanted to do or who I wanted to be. I travelled after school and went to Uni to do an Arts degree, not really knowing where that would leave me,” Kirstie said.

Then in 2001, an opportunity arose for Kirstie to try something completely different – and it turned out to be the perfect fit.

“My husband started his own accounting practice in 2001 and after working at Accenture for 7 years after Uni, I decided to become the business manager of the accounting firm.

“As it turns out, I think my strengths have always been in people management and organisational skills, so my role as a business manager in an accounting firm has been a perfect fit for me. Plus, my husband and I enjoy working together and it allows me plenty of flexibility to enjoy our children and be able to spend time with them in holidays,” she said.

Now Kirstie’s own two girls go to Radford – she has a wise tip for other students, who like her, are unsure of what they want for their future.

“Be true to yourself. And try not to worry about what you look like or what other people think of you. Life will evolve with you so you don’t actually have to know everything now!”

Kirstie Hardy