Life beyond Radford

Mentor If you’d like me to be your mentor please contact Collegians to arrange a meeting.
Last updated 26.08.2023

Ross Caldwell-Brown ( Caldwell )

Class of 2011
OCCUPATION Adviser
Lives Canberra, Australia
Attendance at radford Years 5-12
House Banksia
Connect
Work history
  • Lead Digital Organiser, Australian Labor Party National Secretariat, 2017-Present
  • Assistant Editor, ANU Student Media, 2015-Present
  • Photographer, Freelancer, 2009-Present
  • Digital Organiser, Australian Labor Party National Secretariat, 2016-2017
  • Campaign Assistant, Australian Labor Party National Secretariat, 2014-2016
  • Deputy Editor-in-Chief, ANU Student Media, 2014-2014
  • Digital Editor, ANU Student Media, 2013-2014
  • Digital Assistant, Australian Labor Party National Secretariat, 2013-2014
  • News Assistant, MHSCareers.com, 2012-2014
  • Photography Sub-Editor, ANU Student Media, 2012-2013
  • Australian Government National Youth Week Young Member for 2012, Department of Education, Employment, and Workplace Relations, 2011-2012
  • Assistant, Bell's Dry Cleaning, 2008-2012
  • ACT National Youth Week Young Member for 2011, ACT Department of Disability, Housing and Community Services, 2010-2011
View more
View less

What does life look for you now?

After leaving Radford I began studying a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Digital Arts at the Australian National University. I decided that the Bachelor of Digital Arts wasn't for me and transferred to a Bachelor of Arts, which I'm still studying with majors in Anthropology and Political Science.

In 2013 I volunteered on Labor's 2013 Federal Election Campaign as part of the digital unit in Campaign Headquarters. Following this, I continued volunteering at Labor's National Secretariat and eventually began full time work on the digital unit in 2015, where I remain to this day.

Tell us what you are passionate about?

I'm passionate about making a difference and helping people. Aside from that, I love staying updated on news, watching movies and reading whenever I get the chance.

How easy was it to decide what to do in life?

It wasn't the easiest. I had some plans during high school but they didn't go further than "go to university". Once I was at university, I felt a bit lost but took the opportunities offered to me and managed to find a path through life where I'm happy and fulfilled.

Did your further study or career go exactly as you'd planned?

Nope! I thought I knew what I wanted to do at university and once I started, I realised that I didn't know what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. But I threw myself into trying new things and pushing my comfort zone, and now I'm rather happy with where I am.

What do you know now, that you wish you'd known when you were at Radford?

Have a plan, but don't be afraid to change it. It's easy to focus on marks or achievements and, while they are important, ultimately it's much more important to have a solid group of friends and enjoy your life as much as possible.

What advice do you have for current students?

Take opportunities as they come and be flexible in your plans.