Life beyond Radford

Last updated 10.04.2017

Penny Gosling

Class of 1999
OCCUPATION General Practitioner
Lives Canberra, Australia
Attendance at radford Years 11-12
House Banksia
Connect
View more
View less

What does life look for you now?

I'm a GP currently working full-time between two medical practices. I have three children - Mark, who's nearly 4; Claire, who's 2.5; and Ben, who's seven months old.
I did most of my postgraduate medical training in emergency medicine, before opting for a specialty in General Practice. I will achieve my fellowship of the college of GPs later this year.

Tell us what you are passionate about?

I am really enjoying family life at the moment, and between that and full time work there's not a lot of spare time!When I do find time, I enjoy medical writing and spend some time writing case studies for publication.

When you were young, what were you hoping to be when you grew up?

A nurse or a teacher! But my late mother - a nurse - was not keen on me pursuing nursing. I'm now involved in the teaching of undergraduate medical students, so I guess a bit of it worked out!

What is your favourite Radford moment?

Godspell! Crazy fun - lots of rehearsals with my talented co-cast. Performing on stage - especially singing - was not something I ever thought I'd be good enough/brave enough for. I'm glad I took the opportunity while I had it.

Did your further study or career go exactly as you'd planned?

Not even a little bit. I went on a Gap year immediately after Radford, then returned to Australia to study Chiropractic Science at Macquarie Uni. Family circumstances brought me back to Canberra, then I started in a BSc. At ANU.

Initially I focussed on biochemistry, then hated it and focussed on Botany/Zoology instead.

After undergrad I applied and was accepted into medicine at ANU. I spend third year living and studying in Batemans Bay.

After Med school I went to Wagga Wagga to work for a couple of years, then did a few years casual work in Port Macquarie. I ended up subspecialising in Emergency Medicine.

Then I married my husband (who I met in Canberra during Med School!) and moved back to Canberra, working in Calvary ED.

Then changed my mind again and changed to General Practice.

What do you know now, that you wish you'd known when you were at Radford?

That all the people who said 'You don't have to decide now' (what to do career-wise) were 100% right.

What advice do you have for current students?

The rules and regulations, and support, you have at Radford may seem annoying now – but they set you up really well for study, work and life.