Life beyond Radford

Mentor If you’d like me to be your mentor please contact Collegians to arrange a meeting.
Last updated 27.09.2019

Katie Tunks Leach ( Tunks )

Class of 1992
OCCUPATION Associate Lecturer (UTS)/Chaplain (NSW Ambulance Service
Lives Sydney, Australia
Attendance at radford Years 7-12
House Acacia
Connect
View more
View less

What does life look for you now?

Currently I work at the University of Technology Sydney, where I am an Associate Lecturer in the Faculty of Health. I am also a Chaplain for the NSW Ambulance service, and a PhD Candidate.

I am also married, a mum to 2 girls, and a keen hiker who tries to get to Tasmania whenever I can.

Tell us what you are passionate about?

Primarily I am passionate about people. Working alongside patients, colleagues, students, paramedics and bystanders has been a real privilege. I am also passionate about nursing/education, the environment, equality, social justice, gardening, knitting, reading and hiking.

When you were young, what were you hoping to be when you grew up?

I have always wanted to be a nurse, but I had no idea this was where I would end up. With my specialty being emergency and trauma nursing I honestly thought I would remain in that area.

What is your favourite Radford moment?

Year 9 camp for sure.

How easy was it to decide what to do in life?

It's one thing to want to be a nurse, but it's another thing to know how that will play out. The areas I wanted to work in were out of reach because of a back condition, but life has taken me on an excellent adventure so far, and who knows where it will take me next.

Did your further study or career go exactly as you'd planned?

In a word, no. When I finished school with a very low TER and advice not to quit my job at the local Maccas, I did not think university was an option. To find myself where I am now is actually rather amusing.

As for the chaplain thing, that was never on the cards but it has turned out to be one of the hardest/most rewarding things I have done.

What do you know now, that you wish you'd known when you were at Radford?

You are going to fail, and it's going to hurt, but you'll learn more from your failures than you realise.

What advice do you have for current students?

The world does not end when you fail, I promise (speaking from experience). There are so many paths now to get where you think you want to be, but don't close yourself off to new experiences either. A lot about where I am now came about because I said yes to new things.