2016 Young Citizen Success

Posted 22 Apr, 2016

Radford did very well at the 2016 Young Citizen of the Year Awards on Friday 8 April (Foundation Day), receiving two awards

Radford did very well at the 2016 Young Citizen of the Year Awards on Friday 8 April (Foundation Day), receiving two awards presented by Yvette Berry MLA, ACT Minister for Multicultural and Youth Affairs.

A small delegation of Year 12 students and collegians, along with Alesha Brown from YMCA RAID, were present to accept the awards. The ceremony was an inspirational celebration of many schools’ and young people’s contribution to their community, and made many of us in the audience feel that the future is in very safe, smart and compassionate hands.

Connal Burslem (Class of 2015) received the highly contested Personal Achievement Award for ‘inspirational commitment to serving the community through volunteering with a vast range of local programs that help improve the lives of Canberrans from all sectors, including those with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and charities striving to improve health outcomes for individuals.’

The Radford College RAID (Recreational Activities for people with an Intellectual Disability) Basketball Group, represented by Edward Cardew-Hall, Cameron Sambridge and Raymond Yao, received a Highly Commended award for ‘excellence in the inclusion of people with and without disability and for the development of effective leaders in the ACT community.’

Well done to Connal on his success and to all of the students, collegians and staff involved in RAID Basketball’s wonderful partnership with YMCA for over 11 years now.