Priya Gakhar (Class 2012) defies all odds to play the game she loves

Posted 22 Aug, 2024

The story of Sutherland Strikers forward Priya Gakhar is a remarkable one.

Six years ago she developed a serious health condition called Pulmonary Embolism. Most wouldn’t have heard of it, Including Priya at the time but now she is very aware of what it is and its dangers.

Priya advocates on a regular basis to create awareness for fellow athletes to listen to their bodies so even if she saves one life, she will know her long road to recovery isn’t in vain.

Pulmonary Embolism, or PE as it is also known, is an illness where multiple blood clots form in the lungs, blocking blood flow. After a flight home to Canberra from Louisiana where Priya was on a football scholarship, she felt unwell with symptoms including shortness of breath, irregular chest pain and muscular pain.

A doctor who Priya originally consulted, advised she was suffering from anxiety and muscular pain but she wasn’t convinced. By chance, Priya’s dad began seeing a new doctor who she then decided to see herself. The GP was very thorough and enquired about Priya’s symptoms. The universe aligned and the talented footballer is here to tell her story.

Priya’s new doctor sent her for heart examinations and blood tests, but everything showed up clear. As a final resort, Priya was sent for a CT pulmonary angiogram scan.

It was then that Priya was directed straight to emergency. She was told she had a ‘decent size clot’. Upon further examination, it was revealed that Priya had 12 blood clots scattered on both sides of her lungs, which had been present for a month, undetected.

Whilst most PE’s form from deep vein thrombosis, investigations concluded that there was no DVT present in the legs, but the condition was most likely from the combination of over training, dehydration, little recovery in the USA and the long haul flight back home to Australia.

With 25% of cases resulting in sudden death and no obvious symptoms, Priya knows how lucky she is to have survived such a serious health condition, let alone still be able to be playing the game she loves, and is adamant that’s what she will continue to do.

Recovery including regular hospital visits and a variety of medication took a year, and even now, five years later, some effects are still felt occasionally, but her determination and grit sees her continuing living her best life and achieve the goal to be back at the highest football level she can.

Priya began playing the world game at the age of four and remembers the day of her first trial at club Belsouth, Belconnen, Canberra.

When questioned about her football inspiration, Priya replied, “I was originally inspired by my older brother, Rahul, who was playing, and the movie, Bend it Like Beckham.”

Priya has played football every year since.

Naturally, Priya still occasionally worries about injuries but has been given the all clear to play by her doctors and her situation continues to improve.

The desire to keep playing football is due to it being the love of her life. As a youngster, Priya declared, “I want to play until the age of 50.”

Priya concedes that her dream of playing for The Matildas has possibly been affected but she continues to dream big and work hard.

There is still unfinished business in The States with college soccer, due to her abrupt departure.

She debuted there at 22 and was playing for a year which was meant to be three in total.

Priya has lived in Sydney for a year to continue to chase her football dream but admits she does miss Canberra, occasionally feeling home sick stating, “I especially miss my puppy, Chico.”

So determined to resume getting back to her best football, she stayed in hotels and friends’ couches whilst looking for somewhere to live.

Ben Gough, Coach of League One Women’s side, Nepean FC at the time, sent out a football lifeline with the support of Macarthur Rams Manager, Peter Nowakowski. Priya originally questioned whether the move to Sydney was right but decided to start afresh.

She says she is content with the decision and has made great friends and networks who she now calls her adopted family.

Priya is forever indebted to previous Sutherland Strikers Coach, Mick McGovern, stating he is one of the best coaches she has had the leadership of having and praises him equally as a person.

Upon hearing Priya’s praise, Mick’s response was, “Priya is a fantastic person who brings great calm and maturity to the playing group. She has overcome extremely serious health issues and that has not dampened her competitive spirit, it has actually given her a drive and focus to get back to playing at the highest level.

“Priya is the type of player that coaches look to get in their squads. I was lucky enough to have crossed paths with Priya on her football journey and it was great to see the passion with which she plays the game.”

Finally Priya acknowledges her mum’s support as her biggest source of strength.

She was present for all of Priya’s appointments, hospital visits and mental health concerns and vocalizes that she was able to get through her adversity due to the immense support and care from her mum.

Priya’s strong message to all athletes, especially footballers, is to listen to your body and persist on further checks if something doesn’t feel right. Whilst it may take time, it’s important to find the right doctor and treatment, to be as healthy as possible and to continue playing the game you love.

-By Melissa Muscat