H for History

Collegians can help Mr H put together the story of Radford College

Posted 06 Mar, 2018

“I’m so grateful that I’ve been given the chance and honour to document the College’s wonderful 35-year history. While what I write may be somewhat subjective, I promise the telling will be effervescent, enthusiastic and in places just a tad funny” – George Huitker.

Radford College has commissioned the writing of a very special book, in celebration of the school’s wonderful 35-year history. Written in collaboration with the school’s vast Collegiate, the book will shed light on what makes Radford College such a unique institution.

Readers can expect lasting memories from the school, inspirational people and stories from the College, and updates on the lives of various alumni.

Radford College was formally founded in 1983, with the foundation stone laid by Bishop Cecil Warren. The school opened its doors the following year, with just 235 students and 15 teachers.

Today, there are over 1700 enrolled students from pre-kindergarten to Year 12. The College is continuously developing new channels to keep in touch with students and the world, and this book is a fine example.

Commissioned to write the history of the College is none other than George Huitker (who some may know as “Mr H”), the current Head of Service Learning. Mr H has been a staff member at Radford for a little over 85% of the school’s life, seeing around 6000 students graduate and 100 staff come and go, as well as attending what must be close to 100 school camps.

Starting his career at Radford as an English teacher, Mr H recalls teaching poetry through impromptu excursions into nearby bushland. He then moved into a role as a Drama teacher and Head of Year for around a decade, looking after scores of football teams over this time, before moving into his current role.

Collegians can help Mr H put together the story of Radford College by getting in touch and answering one, a few or all of the following questions:

· What do you think should not be left out of Radford’s 35-year history book?

· What’s your happiest/craziest/most enduring memory of Radford?

· Is there any way you have contributed to the college you would like me to know/note?

· Who or what left the greatest impression on you during time at Radford?

· When you think of your time at Radford, what are you most grateful for?

· What is unique about Radford?

Help H Now!