Life beyond Radford

Mentor If you’d like me to be your mentor please contact Collegians to arrange a meeting.
Last updated 28.06.2017

Andrew Tunks

Class of 1994
OCCUPATION Business Owner
Lives Brisbane, Australia
Attendance at radford Years 7-12
House Acacia
Connect
Work history
  • Owner, Social Matters, 2014-Present
Business
View more
View less

What does life look for you now?

I'm a father of 5, ranging from 4 - 19 years old. After leaving Canberra for my hometown of Sydney in 1999, I spent the following years in Sales, Marketing and Account Management roles. I moved to Brisbane in 2005 after being head hunted for a role up here. I spent the next years mainly in Digital Marketing and Account Management roles, spending time in digital marketing agencies. I went out on my own and started my Social Media Marketing business 3 years ago. I currently employ 3 people and after years of hard work we are going through a growth phase of the business. I play over 35's Football (soccer), train in Ninja Warrior and Calisthenics and enjoy a good surf.

Tell us what you are passionate about?

My passions are my kids (who all have their own strengths and passions), my business (I love helping other small businesses grow), my health and fitness, music and friends.

When you were young, what were you hoping to be when you grew up?

A pilot! And I still will become one, I plan to gain my pilots license next year.

What is your favourite Radford moment?

The home appreciation course (otherwise known as year 9 camp).

Do you have a particular role model or inspirational figure from Radford or now?

George Huitker. He was a true inspiration who I looked up to. He helped nurture my love of poetry, and to this day I still love writing.

How easy was it to decide what to do in life?

I believe you need to find your passion in life and then work out how to make a career out of it. This was not easy. But once you find it, you realise that everything that you did along the way helped prepare you to succeed once you found your passion.

What do you know now, that you wish you'd known when you were at Radford?

That the schooling years play such a short but defining role in your life. At the time it feels like you will be in school forever, but in hindsight it was such a short part of your life. When you are at school you can literally do anything with your life, so try and find your passion early and make it happen!

What advice do you have for current students?

Find your passion. Explore how to make it happen and just do it. Give yourself as many options as you can, as life is a rollercoaster and things can change at any time. When life throws a curve ball at you, learn how to fight and not run, the most rewarding things in life are often the hardest.